`Notice issued to 70 Tv channels for surrogate ads`
New Delhi: Show cause notices were issued on 70 occasions to television channels in the last three years for broadcasting misleading and surrogate advertisements.
"Some instances of misleading and surrogate
advertisements in the electronic media have been brought to
the notice of the government," Minister for Information and
Broadcasting Ambika Soni informed Lok Sabha today in a written
She added that as far as print media is concerned,
complaints including those relating to misleading and
surrogate advertisement are handled by Press Council of India.
Soni informed the Lower House that as per Cable TV
rules, no direct or indirect advertisement of alcoholic and
tobacco products is permitted on cable and satellite
"As far as print media is concerned, government does
not exercise any control on the content of print media.
However, the Press Council of India monitors and takes
cognizance suo motu or on complaints of advertisements that
are violative of ethics of journalistic practice," the
She also told the Lok Sabha that government is currently
considering recommendations by TRAI on amending Cable
Television Networks (Regulation) Act 1995.
TRAI had submitted its recommendations to the government
on July 25 last year on changes in the present legal
provisions and regulatory framework of cable services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad