Notice to Cente, States on Yeshudas’ PIL for low drugs prices
Kochi: The Kerala High Court today
ordered issue of notice to Central and State Governments on a
PIL filed by popular singer K J Yesudas seeking a direction to
make available life-saving drugs at a reasonable price.
The petitioner also sought a direction to make
available life-saving drugs for cancer and other chronic
ailments to patients in the below poverty line (BPL) category.
The Division Bench, comprising Chief Justice S R
Bannurmath and Justice Thottathil B Radhakrishnan, admitted
the writ petition and issued notice to central and state
The Petitioner also sought a direction to implement
the Provisions of National Pharmaceutical Policy and Health
Meanwhile, another writ petition complaining high
price and non-availability of haemophilia drugs also came up
for consideration of the court.
The court constituted a committee consisting of a
senior advocate and senior doctors to examine the steps taken
by the government in this regard.
The Government claimed that Kerala State Medical
Corporation was providing free medicine to patients in BPL
category and free treatment at Kozhikode and
Thiruvananthapuram Medical College hospitals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department
- UK PM Cameron says EU referendum turnout is greatest concern for 'In'
- US states sue White House over transgender bathroom use
- Congress plans nationwide media blitz against 2 years of NDA's 'misrule'; to release film, booklet
- PHOTO: After KKR's loss vs SRH, Shah Rukh Khan Tweets heart-wrenching image of cheerleaders crying