Notice to Centre, state Home Min for nude Hindu paintings
Bangalore: Karnataka High Court on Tuesday ordered issue of notice to the Union of India, state Chief Secretary, Home Minister and three others on a PIL in connection with the recent exhibition of nude paintings of some Hindu Gods and goddesses in the art gallery of Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath here.
When the PIL came up for hearing before a division bench headed by acting Chief Justice K Sreedhar Rao, the court ordered issue of notice to the six and adjourned the petition for filing of objections by the government.
MK Vijaykumar, in his petition pointed out there there was no elected body in the Arts institution for the past five years to preside over matters and there was no committee to screen paintings of artists before these were showcased in the art gallery.
The petitioner sought for issue of writ of mandamus to the Chief Secretary to appoint an Advisory Council from the Artists Community to advise and assist the administrator as contemplated under section 27A (5-A) of the Karnataka Societies Registration Act, 1960.
The petitioner also sought the court to issue further direction to the respondents that the investigating police officers should not be influenced by politicians while carrying out investigations into the alleged offence committed by artists, if any, as it affects the fundamental right guaranteed under Article 19(1) and (g) of the constitution.
It also sought to direct the Director General and Inspector General of Police (the fifth respondent) to curb the "moral policing" which takes law and order into its hands.
The other respondents are, Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister of Karnataka, Director General and Inspector General of Police and Chief Administrative Officer of Karnataka Chitrakala Parishat.
On February five, the arts institution was made to remove the said paintings from its gallery, pursuant to the threat of protests from public and request by police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement