Notification on FDI in retail ‘shocking’: Mamata
Kolkata: Upping the ante, Mamata Banerjee on Thursday hit out at the UPA government for "hurriedly" notifying FDI in multi-brand retail, saying it had no business of doing so after being reduced to a "minority".
"I have just come to know through media that Centre has notified FDI in multi-brand retail today. Is it ethical, moral and democratic for a minority government to issue government order forcibly and hurriedly when massive protests against it are taking place across the country?" she said on her Facebook page today, terming the move as "shocking".
She said, "These actions by a minority government question its credibility. It also defied democratic traditions in the context of the assurance given in a statement by the former finance minister (Pranab Mukherjee) on December 7, 2011 in Lok Sabha to go in for consensus among all stake holders before taking a decision."
Banerjee`s comments come a day before Trinamool Congress ministers are slated to submit their resignations to the Prime Minister.
The Trinamool, which has 19 MPs in the Lok Sabha, has also sought an appointment with President Pranab Mukherjee tomorrow ostensibly to hand over a letter formally withdrawing support to the UPA Government.
"It is not understandable as to what has compelled the present minority government to take a hurried decision on such an important issue which touches the livelihood of millions of common people," Banerjee said.
"Shocking at midnight....," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days