Notify Cauvery award by Feb 20: SC to Centre
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday directed the chairman of the Central Water Commission to constitute a three-member expert committee to visit the Cauvery Delta Basin to make an assessment of standing crops in Tamil Nadu.
The apex court bench headed by Justice RM Lodha said the committee would submit its report to the court by Wednesday and the same would be taken up for consideration and hearing next day.
In the meantime, the court said, irrespective of the expert committee report, Tamil Nadu will release two TMC (thousand million cubic feet) of water from Mettur reservoir which in turn will be replenished by Karnataka from its Cauvery water.
Having directed the setting up of the expert committee, the court hauled up the centre for shutting its eyes to the mandate of law by not publishing in the official gazette the Cauvery River Water Disputes Tribunal Award, finalised way back in 2007.
The court directed the centre to publish the award in the gazette as early as possible, but in no case later than February 20, 2013.
The court brushed aside the centre`s plea that it does not want to take any unilateral decision and wanted to evolve a consensus between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu before publishing the award.
Tamil Nadu has sought nine TMC of water for its standing crops spread over six lakh hectares of land. It said that one-third of the crops spread over nine lakh hectares of land had perished due to drought, and the remaining crop over six lakh hectares of land needs to be irrigated twice to save it.
However, Karnataka contended that 40 percent of standing crops had already been harvested, and the remaining sixty percent was about to be harvested. Thus, Tamil Nadu needs no water for irrigating standing crops.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3