Now, a mango named after Delhi CM Sheila Dikshit
New Delhi: Now, a mango named after Delhi
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
`Sheila` - a new mango variety cultivated by Tariq
Mustafa from Uttar Pradesh - is on display at the 23rd edition
of the Mango Festival which began here today.
Mustafa says he named the mango after the Chief Minister
as a tribute to her leadership.
The Mango festival, inaugurated by Delhi Social Welfare
minister Kiran Walia, promises a unique combination of
traditional and cultural diversity of the country, showcasing
around 400 uncommon and commercially popular varieties of the
mangoes, art, handloom, crafts, events and cuisine under one
Expecting around 50,000 footfalls in the three-day
festival, senior chief manager of the event K B Sharma said,
"This year we are demonstrating mango panna and mango pickles
preparation and to attract good footfalls, we have arranged
mango eating competition for men and women, for kids we have
rides, magic shows and various entertaining events."
"Delhi Tourism encourages such festivals as it gives a
platform to show our tradition and culture to cultivators, to
support that we have not charged anything from mango growers,
they have come from across the country, in fact we have done
arrangements for their food and stay," said O P Mishra,
General Manager, Delhi Tourism and Transportation Corp.
There are around 1,200 varieties of mango in the world
and India has almost 1,000 of them. Kesar, Baganpalli,
Totapri, Safeda, Neelam, Fazali, Mallika, Dusheri, Malda,
Amrapali, Langra, Rataul and `Chausa` have been named as
King of Mangoes by maximum mango growers.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference