Now, a mango named after Delhi CM Sheila Dikshit
New Delhi: Now, a mango named after Delhi
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
`Sheila` - a new mango variety cultivated by Tariq
Mustafa from Uttar Pradesh - is on display at the 23rd edition
of the Mango Festival which began here today.
Mustafa says he named the mango after the Chief Minister
as a tribute to her leadership.
The Mango festival, inaugurated by Delhi Social Welfare
minister Kiran Walia, promises a unique combination of
traditional and cultural diversity of the country, showcasing
around 400 uncommon and commercially popular varieties of the
mangoes, art, handloom, crafts, events and cuisine under one
Expecting around 50,000 footfalls in the three-day
festival, senior chief manager of the event K B Sharma said,
"This year we are demonstrating mango panna and mango pickles
preparation and to attract good footfalls, we have arranged
mango eating competition for men and women, for kids we have
rides, magic shows and various entertaining events."
"Delhi Tourism encourages such festivals as it gives a
platform to show our tradition and culture to cultivators, to
support that we have not charged anything from mango growers,
they have come from across the country, in fact we have done
arrangements for their food and stay," said O P Mishra,
General Manager, Delhi Tourism and Transportation Corp.
There are around 1,200 varieties of mango in the world
and India has almost 1,000 of them. Kesar, Baganpalli,
Totapri, Safeda, Neelam, Fazali, Mallika, Dusheri, Malda,
Amrapali, Langra, Rataul and `Chausa` have been named as
King of Mangoes by maximum mango growers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video