Now, a mango named after Delhi CM Sheila Dikshit
New Delhi: Now, a mango named after Delhi
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
`Sheila` - a new mango variety cultivated by Tariq
Mustafa from Uttar Pradesh - is on display at the 23rd edition
of the Mango Festival which began here today.
Mustafa says he named the mango after the Chief Minister
as a tribute to her leadership.
The Mango festival, inaugurated by Delhi Social Welfare
minister Kiran Walia, promises a unique combination of
traditional and cultural diversity of the country, showcasing
around 400 uncommon and commercially popular varieties of the
mangoes, art, handloom, crafts, events and cuisine under one
Expecting around 50,000 footfalls in the three-day
festival, senior chief manager of the event K B Sharma said,
"This year we are demonstrating mango panna and mango pickles
preparation and to attract good footfalls, we have arranged
mango eating competition for men and women, for kids we have
rides, magic shows and various entertaining events."
"Delhi Tourism encourages such festivals as it gives a
platform to show our tradition and culture to cultivators, to
support that we have not charged anything from mango growers,
they have come from across the country, in fact we have done
arrangements for their food and stay," said O P Mishra,
General Manager, Delhi Tourism and Transportation Corp.
There are around 1,200 varieties of mango in the world
and India has almost 1,000 of them. Kesar, Baganpalli,
Totapri, Safeda, Neelam, Fazali, Mallika, Dusheri, Malda,
Amrapali, Langra, Rataul and `Chausa` have been named as
King of Mangoes by maximum mango growers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...