Now Aadhaar numbers through e-mails, SMSes
New Delhi: The long-wait for the unique
identity number would soon be over with the UIDAI, which
issues Aadhaar cards, deciding to inform residents about their
numbers through e-mails and SMSes, before sending it by post.
"We are going to introduce a system next month through
which all unique identity numbers would be communicated
through SMS and e-mail to the concerned persons before they
get their Aadhaar cards by post," Deputy Director General of
Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) Kumar Alok
At present, it takes months before the unique Aadhaar
number is received by the concerned person by post. The delay,
according to officials, is mainly on account of the inability
of the India Post to print and dispatch the UIDAI cards.
Admitting that the printing capacity constraint has
created a big backlog, Alok said that as many as 4 crore
Aadhaar numbers, which were generated under the UIDAI scheme
could not be printed and distributed.
At present, India Post prints about 1.5 lakh Aadhaar
cards a day whereas the UIDAI enrolls over 10 lakh residents
daily, Alok said adding that the authority has so far issued
2.5 crore Aadhaar cards to the residents.
In order to the speed up the dispatches, the authority
has tied up with state-run Telecommunications Consultants
India Limited (TCIL) to print Aadhaar cards to increase and
expedite their distribution.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents