Now Aadhaar numbers through e-mails, SMSes
New Delhi: The long-wait for the unique
identity number would soon be over with the UIDAI, which
issues Aadhaar cards, deciding to inform residents about their
numbers through e-mails and SMSes, before sending it by post.
"We are going to introduce a system next month through
which all unique identity numbers would be communicated
through SMS and e-mail to the concerned persons before they
get their Aadhaar cards by post," Deputy Director General of
Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) Kumar Alok
At present, it takes months before the unique Aadhaar
number is received by the concerned person by post. The delay,
according to officials, is mainly on account of the inability
of the India Post to print and dispatch the UIDAI cards.
Admitting that the printing capacity constraint has
created a big backlog, Alok said that as many as 4 crore
Aadhaar numbers, which were generated under the UIDAI scheme
could not be printed and distributed.
At present, India Post prints about 1.5 lakh Aadhaar
cards a day whereas the UIDAI enrolls over 10 lakh residents
daily, Alok said adding that the authority has so far issued
2.5 crore Aadhaar cards to the residents.
In order to the speed up the dispatches, the authority
has tied up with state-run Telecommunications Consultants
India Limited (TCIL) to print Aadhaar cards to increase and
expedite their distribution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM