Now, an IIM course for aspiring women politicians
New Delhi: To groom aspiring women
politicians by helping them develop necessary skills, IIM
Bangalore on Tuesday launched a certificate course in political
leadership for them.
The three-month long programme called India-Women in
Leadership by the Centre for Public Policy (CPP) aims to equip
aspiring women leaders with the requisite skills, knowledge
and expertise in various aspects of governance.
It seeks to strengthen their ability to contest elections,
lobby for women`s rights and strengthen the overall network of
politically active women across India, said a statement. The
first batch starts on July 16.
The objective is to correct the imbalance in the Indian
political landscape where women hold a mere 10 per cent of
seats in India`s parliament, the statement added.
City-based Centre for Social Research (CSR), an NGO
working on gender empowerment, is also an active partner in
designing the course.
The programme includes lectures, field visits, as well as
a week each of intensive exposure visits in Delhi and
Singapore, the statement said.
According to the World Economic Forum?s 2009 Gender Gap
Index, India ranks 24 out of 135 countries for women?s
"This programme will enable women to enter, progress, and
make an impact in the political arena," said chairperson of CPP
at-IIMB Rajeev Gowda said while referring World Economic
Forums 2009 gender gap index where India ranks 24 out of 135
countries for womens political participation.
The Centre for Public Policy, a leading policy think tank,
was created in 2000 through a partnership agreement between
the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT), Government of
India, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers