Now, an IIM course for aspiring women politicians
New Delhi: To groom aspiring women
politicians by helping them develop necessary skills, IIM
Bangalore on Tuesday launched a certificate course in political
leadership for them.
The three-month long programme called India-Women in
Leadership by the Centre for Public Policy (CPP) aims to equip
aspiring women leaders with the requisite skills, knowledge
and expertise in various aspects of governance.
It seeks to strengthen their ability to contest elections,
lobby for women`s rights and strengthen the overall network of
politically active women across India, said a statement. The
first batch starts on July 16.
The objective is to correct the imbalance in the Indian
political landscape where women hold a mere 10 per cent of
seats in India`s parliament, the statement added.
City-based Centre for Social Research (CSR), an NGO
working on gender empowerment, is also an active partner in
designing the course.
The programme includes lectures, field visits, as well as
a week each of intensive exposure visits in Delhi and
Singapore, the statement said.
According to the World Economic Forum?s 2009 Gender Gap
Index, India ranks 24 out of 135 countries for women?s
"This programme will enable women to enter, progress, and
make an impact in the political arena," said chairperson of CPP
at-IIMB Rajeev Gowda said while referring World Economic
Forums 2009 gender gap index where India ranks 24 out of 135
countries for womens political participation.
The Centre for Public Policy, a leading policy think tank,
was created in 2000 through a partnership agreement between
the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT), Government of
India, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?