Now, Beni says even Re 1 constitutes corruption
New Delhi: In an effort to calm down the controversy erupted after his comment on hullabaloo surrounding Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid, gaffe-prone Union Minister of Steel Beni Prasad Verma said that even one rupee constitutes corruption.
Earlier on Monday, Verma commented on the charges against Khurshid, saying: "I don`t think a person like Khurshid will do anything for an amount like Rs 71 lakh. It is a very small amount for a central Minister. If it would have been Rs 71 crore, even I would have been serious."
Hours later, the Congress leader from Uttar Pradesh changed his statement, reported CNN-IBN.
Verma said he had been misquoted, adding: "Corruption is corruption, even if it is for one rupee”.
Law Minister Salman Khurshid’s NGO in Uttar Pradesh has been accused of siphoning Rs 71 lakh meant to help differently-abled people in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem