Now, Beni says even Re 1 constitutes corruption
New Delhi: In an effort to calm down the controversy erupted after his comment on hullabaloo surrounding Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid, gaffe-prone Union Minister of Steel Beni Prasad Verma said that even one rupee constitutes corruption.
Earlier on Monday, Verma commented on the charges against Khurshid, saying: "I don`t think a person like Khurshid will do anything for an amount like Rs 71 lakh. It is a very small amount for a central Minister. If it would have been Rs 71 crore, even I would have been serious."
Hours later, the Congress leader from Uttar Pradesh changed his statement, reported CNN-IBN.
Verma said he had been misquoted, adding: "Corruption is corruption, even if it is for one rupee”.
Law Minister Salman Khurshid’s NGO in Uttar Pradesh has been accused of siphoning Rs 71 lakh meant to help differently-abled people in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Sanjay Leela Bhansali to compose music for 'Padmavati'
- Teenager killed in firing by security forces as Rajnath Singh visits Kashmir
- Rio Olympics highlights: Ten moments that defined the Games for Indian contingent
- Rajkummar Rao, Kriti Sanon team up for 'Bareilly Ki Barfi'
- Altaf Hussain gives up MQM leadership after calling Pakistan 'cancer'