Now, Beni says even Re 1 constitutes corruption
New Delhi: In an effort to calm down the controversy erupted after his comment on hullabaloo surrounding Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid, gaffe-prone Union Minister of Steel Beni Prasad Verma said that even one rupee constitutes corruption.
Earlier on Monday, Verma commented on the charges against Khurshid, saying: "I don`t think a person like Khurshid will do anything for an amount like Rs 71 lakh. It is a very small amount for a central Minister. If it would have been Rs 71 crore, even I would have been serious."
Hours later, the Congress leader from Uttar Pradesh changed his statement, reported CNN-IBN.
Verma said he had been misquoted, adding: "Corruption is corruption, even if it is for one rupee”.
Law Minister Salman Khurshid’s NGO in Uttar Pradesh has been accused of siphoning Rs 71 lakh meant to help differently-abled people in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city