Now, Beni says even Re 1 constitutes corruption
New Delhi: In an effort to calm down the controversy erupted after his comment on hullabaloo surrounding Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid, gaffe-prone Union Minister of Steel Beni Prasad Verma said that even one rupee constitutes corruption.
Earlier on Monday, Verma commented on the charges against Khurshid, saying: "I don`t think a person like Khurshid will do anything for an amount like Rs 71 lakh. It is a very small amount for a central Minister. If it would have been Rs 71 crore, even I would have been serious."
Hours later, the Congress leader from Uttar Pradesh changed his statement, reported CNN-IBN.
Verma said he had been misquoted, adding: "Corruption is corruption, even if it is for one rupee”.
Law Minister Salman Khurshid’s NGO in Uttar Pradesh has been accused of siphoning Rs 71 lakh meant to help differently-abled people in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!