Now, BJP backs Sushma`s statement on Narendra Modi as PM
New Delhi: The BJP Sunday backed senior party leader Sushma Swaraj`s statement that Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi was "fit" for the job of prime minister, terming him a "very popular and successful" chief minister.
Party leader Arun Jaitley said the Gujarat chief minister is "very successful and popular and we will obviously praise him".
Jaitley also hit out at the Congress, saying it has a "phobia" about Modi and attacks the BJP chief minister.
Sushma Swaraj had Saturday told reporters in Vadodara that Modi is "definitely fit for the job (of prime minister) and there is no doubt about it".
Asked to elaborate, she said Modi is "kabil and yogya (capable) and there is nothing wrong in our praising him".
BJP leader Gopinath Munde Sunday backed Modi for the post of prime minister.
"Narendra Modi is capable of becoming PM and I am satisfied with Sushma Swaraj`s opinion... He has potential of becoming PM," Munde said in Ahmedabad.
"People love him a lot and people are in his support. The BJP will win in Gujarat," he added.
However, striking a different note, Congress leader and Power Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia said Modi has "squandered Gujarat`s future... 45 percent of the children in the state are malnourished, and the health of over 40 percent girls is very poor".
"The atmosphere in the state is very bad, we would not want that replicated in India," said Scindia.
Water Resources Minister Harish Rawat said Modi lacks an all-India image and backed Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi as prime minister. "In 2014, young India will chose its leader and Rahul Gandhi is the best person," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Samsung's 1st Tizen powered 4G smartphone Z2 launched at Rs 4,590; comes with free Jio SIM
- All-new Hyundai Elantra launched in India, price starts at Rs 12.99 lakh
- Pakistan celebrate 'incredible journey' to No.1 in Test Cricket after 7 years
- UN confirms six of nine Dawood Ibrahim addresses, provided by India, in Pakistan
- Turkish military returns fire in Syria after shells hit border town: Report