Now, China doesn’t recognise J&K border
New Delhi: While Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao on his just-concluded India visit expressed hope about resolving the Sino-India border dispute, Beijing has created another controversy by not recognising the border it shares with Jammu and Kashmir.
“China and India share a 2,000-km-long border that has never been formally demarcated,” Xinuha, China’s official news agency, stated earlier this week, literally knocking off the 1,597-km-long border that the separated J&K and China.
Xinuha’s reference to the border issue was based on an official briefing by Chinese Assistant Foreign Minister Hu Zhengyue, ahead of Wen’s visit.
India, on the other hand, considers the operational border with China to be nearly 3500 kilometres long.
Notably, the Chinese government’s fresh stance could be viewed vis-à-vis its policy regarding Jammu and Kashmir. In the recent past, Beijing has been issuing stapled visas to residents of J&K, indirectly terming the territory is a disputed one.
During his visit, Wen said China and India have agreed to set up a working mechanism for consultation and coordination on border affairs.
Terming the boundary issue between the two countries as an "historical legacy", Wen had said that it would not be easy to completely resolve the matter.
Wen meanwhile also slammed the Indian media saying: "In recent years, there has never been a single shot fired... in border areas between us. However, the boundary question has been repeatedly sensationalized by media."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried