Now Congress compares Narendra Modi with ‘yamraj’
New Delhi: Raking up the 2002 post-Godhra riots issue, Congress on Friday appeared to compare Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi with `yamraj`, the Lord of Death in Hindu mythology.
The party also said it feared the "consequences" if Modi was to become Prime Minister, a day after the Chief Minister made the strongest-ever indication of his prime ministerial ambitions.
"Had he intended to indicate Narendra Modi he would not have referred to somebody riding a horse but somebody riding a buffalo (yama`s vehicle)....Rahulji has talked about somebody coming on a horse, he must be referring to a messiah," AICC spokesman Rashid Alvi told reporters.
He was replying to a question whether Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi was referring to Modi when he said in his CII speech yesterday that no one person can come charging on horseback and solve all the country`s problems.
The invoking of `yamraj` barb brings back the memories of "merchant of death" used by Congress president Sonia Gandhi in the campaign during Gujarat Assembly elections in 2007, which was believed to have boomeranged on the party. In subsequent elections, the party avoided references to the riots.
Ridiculing Modi`s comments yesterday about "repaying the debt" to nation, seen as his first-ever admission of his prime ministerial ambitions, Alvi said, "We are frightened if he wants to pay back the debt to Delhi (nation) in the same manner in which he has paid the debt to the soil of Gujarat."
Modi had yesterday said it was the duty of every child to repay the debt he owes to "Mother India".
Striking a similar note, Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said, he often worried about Modi`s statements and hoped he does not do in the rest of India what "he did in Gujarat in 2002”.
"As someone who believes in the idea of India, who believes in the plurality of Indian ethos, who is committed to the founding values of the Indian Constitution, I often worry about the statements of the Gujarat Chief Minister.
"I hope he doesn`t want to do in the rest of India what he did in Gujarat in 2002."
On questions related to the United States` stance of not granting a visa to Modi, Tewari said he wondered why there was an obsession related to a foreign visa.
Mocking at Modi`s remarks on repaying debt, Alvi said that he can do it while working in a village also.
He went on to quote a Ghalib couplet `Haazaron khawhishen aisi, ke har khwahish pe dum nikle.` (There are thousands of wishes and in pursuit of each, life could be consumed)
"If somebody thinks the debt of the nation can be paid by only coming to Delhi, this is that person`s thinking. People have various desires," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day