Now, Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao on Twitter
New Delhi: Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao on Friday opened her Twitter account, becoming the first senior Indian bureaucrat to do so.
Her first post went out from her account (www.twitter.com/forsecnrao) at about 12.10 pm on Friday - "Leaving4NewYork tonite."
According to a foreign ministry official, Rao will be herself sending out tweets through her Blackberry phone. "It will be mainly used to inform about her events," he said.
The second tweet sent by Rao was, "Enroute to (Washington) DC Spkg at The New School NY on India-China on Sat 3.30 pm".
She is accompanying External Affairs Minister SM Krishna to the UN.
Within an hour, she had gathered 150 followers with word of mouth spreading through twitter. "Thank you all for your words of welcome!" she noted.
With this, the ministry of external affairs has taken another big step in the social media web.
The ministry`s public diplomacy division started its own account last year, (www.twitter.com/Indiandiplomacy), which has over 5,800 followers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why