Now, Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao on Twitter
New Delhi: Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao on Friday opened her Twitter account, becoming the first senior Indian bureaucrat to do so.
Her first post went out from her account (www.twitter.com/forsecnrao) at about 12.10 pm on Friday - "Leaving4NewYork tonite."
According to a foreign ministry official, Rao will be herself sending out tweets through her Blackberry phone. "It will be mainly used to inform about her events," he said.
The second tweet sent by Rao was, "Enroute to (Washington) DC Spkg at The New School NY on India-China on Sat 3.30 pm".
She is accompanying External Affairs Minister SM Krishna to the UN.
Within an hour, she had gathered 150 followers with word of mouth spreading through twitter. "Thank you all for your words of welcome!" she noted.
With this, the ministry of external affairs has taken another big step in the social media web.
The ministry`s public diplomacy division started its own account last year, (www.twitter.com/Indiandiplomacy), which has over 5,800 followers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands