Now, Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao on Twitter
New Delhi: Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao on Friday opened her Twitter account, becoming the first senior Indian bureaucrat to do so.
Her first post went out from her account (www.twitter.com/forsecnrao) at about 12.10 pm on Friday - "Leaving4NewYork tonite."
According to a foreign ministry official, Rao will be herself sending out tweets through her Blackberry phone. "It will be mainly used to inform about her events," he said.
The second tweet sent by Rao was, "Enroute to (Washington) DC Spkg at The New School NY on India-China on Sat 3.30 pm".
She is accompanying External Affairs Minister SM Krishna to the UN.
Within an hour, she had gathered 150 followers with word of mouth spreading through twitter. "Thank you all for your words of welcome!" she noted.
With this, the ministry of external affairs has taken another big step in the social media web.
The ministry`s public diplomacy division started its own account last year, (www.twitter.com/Indiandiplomacy), which has over 5,800 followers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says