Now, forgery case against arms dealer Abhishek Verma
New Delhi: A fresh case of forgery and cheating has been filed against businessman and alleged arms dealer Abhishek Verma, reports claimed on Thursday.
It was reported that Verma allegedly forged a senior CBI official’s letter mentioning an investigation against him is closed due to lack of evidence.
He gave the forged letter to his bank to activate his frozen account.
Verma and his wife were arrested by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on August 22 in connection with a money laundering case registered against them for allegedly receiving money from a Swiss defence firm to keep it out of the government`s blacklist.
The couple was placed under arrest under the stringent provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) after an ED team recorded their statements.
The arrest of Verma and his Romanian wife Anca Maria Neascu by the agency comes as additional trouble for the duo as they are already embroiled in a host of criminal cases and the CBI has arrested them in two separate cases so far.
Earlier, both the accused had been granted bail on August 8 in a corruption case registered by the CBI for allegedly receiving USD 530,000 from Rheinmetall Air Defence AG (RAD) for using his influence to stall its blacklisting proceedings by Indian government. The ED made this case as the basis for filing its criminal complaint against them.
They were granted bail after the CBI had failed to file chargesheet against them within stipulated 60-day period after their arrest on June 8 in the corruption case.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- International Weightlifting federation names 15 re-test doping failures
- Football Tourism: PSG will receive $197 million to promote tourism in Qatar
- Nitin Gadkari appointed as BJP election in-charge for Goa Assembly polls
- Xiaomi Redmi 4, Redmi Note 4 likely to be launched on Thursday
- Cabinet raises compensation for terror, blast victims