Now, forgery case against arms dealer Abhishek Verma
New Delhi: A fresh case of forgery and cheating has been filed against businessman and alleged arms dealer Abhishek Verma, reports claimed on Thursday.
It was reported that Verma allegedly forged a senior CBI official’s letter mentioning an investigation against him is closed due to lack of evidence.
He gave the forged letter to his bank to activate his frozen account.
Verma and his wife were arrested by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on August 22 in connection with a money laundering case registered against them for allegedly receiving money from a Swiss defence firm to keep it out of the government`s blacklist.
The couple was placed under arrest under the stringent provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) after an ED team recorded their statements.
The arrest of Verma and his Romanian wife Anca Maria Neascu by the agency comes as additional trouble for the duo as they are already embroiled in a host of criminal cases and the CBI has arrested them in two separate cases so far.
Earlier, both the accused had been granted bail on August 8 in a corruption case registered by the CBI for allegedly receiving USD 530,000 from Rheinmetall Air Defence AG (RAD) for using his influence to stall its blacklisting proceedings by Indian government. The ED made this case as the basis for filing its criminal complaint against them.
They were granted bail after the CBI had failed to file chargesheet against them within stipulated 60-day period after their arrest on June 8 in the corruption case.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam