Now, Khaps want laws against homosexuality
Rohtak: A meet of Khap panchayats, which
have been demanding a ban on same gotra marriages, Sunday
sought legal recognition for these self-styled caste councils
and laws against homosexuality and surrogate motherhood.
The `Mahapanchayat` of Khaps, which met in Meham,
about 30 kms from here, also threatened to hold a strike in
Haryana on December 21 if their demand for amendment to the
Hindu Marriage Act to ban same `gotra` (sub-caste) marriages
is not met.
During the meeting that lasted nearly five hours, the
meet also passed resolutions demanding Lok Adalat status to
Khap panchayats with judicial powers and ban on homosexuality
and surrogate motherhood.
The Khap panchayats also slammed, what they termed as,
attempts "to deprive them of their social rights in the
They also favoured stern punishment for crimes related
Maintaining that amendment in any law could be done
within hours if the government wished so, former Haryana chief
minister Hukam Singh questioned the intentions of the
government over the issue of banning same `gotra` marriages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!