Now, Khaps want laws against homosexuality
Rohtak: A meet of Khap panchayats, which
have been demanding a ban on same gotra marriages, Sunday
sought legal recognition for these self-styled caste councils
and laws against homosexuality and surrogate motherhood.
The `Mahapanchayat` of Khaps, which met in Meham,
about 30 kms from here, also threatened to hold a strike in
Haryana on December 21 if their demand for amendment to the
Hindu Marriage Act to ban same `gotra` (sub-caste) marriages
is not met.
During the meeting that lasted nearly five hours, the
meet also passed resolutions demanding Lok Adalat status to
Khap panchayats with judicial powers and ban on homosexuality
and surrogate motherhood.
The Khap panchayats also slammed, what they termed as,
attempts "to deprive them of their social rights in the
They also favoured stern punishment for crimes related
Maintaining that amendment in any law could be done
within hours if the government wished so, former Haryana chief
minister Hukam Singh questioned the intentions of the
government over the issue of banning same `gotra` marriages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption