Now, Khaps want laws against homosexuality
Rohtak: A meet of Khap panchayats, which
have been demanding a ban on same gotra marriages, Sunday
sought legal recognition for these self-styled caste councils
and laws against homosexuality and surrogate motherhood.
The `Mahapanchayat` of Khaps, which met in Meham,
about 30 kms from here, also threatened to hold a strike in
Haryana on December 21 if their demand for amendment to the
Hindu Marriage Act to ban same `gotra` (sub-caste) marriages
is not met.
During the meeting that lasted nearly five hours, the
meet also passed resolutions demanding Lok Adalat status to
Khap panchayats with judicial powers and ban on homosexuality
and surrogate motherhood.
The Khap panchayats also slammed, what they termed as,
attempts "to deprive them of their social rights in the
They also favoured stern punishment for crimes related
Maintaining that amendment in any law could be done
within hours if the government wished so, former Haryana chief
minister Hukam Singh questioned the intentions of the
government over the issue of banning same `gotra` marriages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Watch: Jeff Williams shares wide view of Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming from space!
- 1st Test, Day 3: Sri Lanka vs Australia - As it happened...
- Bail plea of Amanatullah Khan, accused of threatening woman with rape and murder, to be heard today
- Bhagwant Mann FB video row: Deadline for AAP MP to depose before parliamentary panel ends today
- Donald Trump was 'being sarcastic' over Russia hacking comments