Now Pranab, Omar drop out of conclave
New Delhi: Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday cancelled their participation at a Conclave organised by a leading media group that is to be attended by controversial author Salman Rushdie.
The organisers did not cite any reason for the cancellation, but their dropping out is said to be over the particpation of Rushdie. Mukherjee, who was to appear at the conclave a day after his Budget presentation, regretted his inability to attend, apparently because of pressure from his constituency, Jangipur, in West Bengal that has a large Muslim population.
Rushdie is in the capital for the concluding session of the two-day annual conclave. On Friday, Rushdie`s literary session was postponed to Saturday after Pakistani opposition leader Imran Khan dropped out, ostensibly over Rushdie.
Rushdie`s participation at the two-day conclave that started Friday at a five-star hotel here comes barely two months after he had to cancel his visit to the Jaipur Literature Festival due to threats from radical Muslim groups protesting against "derogatory references" to Islam in his novel "The Satanic Verses".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'