Now, Tihar sets up AC restaurant, trained inmates to cook and serve
New Delhi: Delhi`s Tihar Jail has set up a restaurant where its inmates trained in hotel management will cook and serve food.
The air-conditioned restaurant on Jail Road is operational but is yet to be launched on full-scale.
"Our aim is to serve quality food at reasonable rates. Several inmates of Tihar`s semi-open prison have undergone hotel management training a month ago under a Ministry of Tourism initiative and now they`ll be trying their hands on it professionally," Tihar Jail PRO Sunil Gupta told PTI.
Prisoners who have a track record of good conduct, not accused of heinous crime and are physically and mentally fit are selected for semi-open prison (SOP). To be eligible for SOP, an inmate`s jail term should not be above 12 years.
Gupta said the restaurant has so far received good response and the people are excited about the kind of food that will be served here.
The restaurant, which has a seating capacity of 50 persons, is open from 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM. It will also deliver food in areas falling within a radius of one km.
Around 10 of the 45-50 inmates who underwent training in house keeping, cooking and hotel management are at present working at the restaurant. More workers will be brought in if the workload increases, Gupta said.
Gupta said earnings of the restaurant will be used in welfare programmes for the jail inmates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan