Now, UIDAI to enroll in UP, Bihar Chhattisgarh, Uttarakhand
New Delhi: The government on Tuesday asked the UIDAI, which issues unique identification numbers to residents, to start enrolments in four more states - Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh and Uttarakhand.
"It was decided that in four States, which are, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh and Uttarakhand, UIDAI will carry out the enrolment exercise in addition to enrolment carried out by the Registrar General of India (RGI)," an official statement said.
The decision to reallocate states for Aadhaar enrolments was taken by the Cabinet Committee on Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) at a meeting here.
UIDAI and RGI will work out modalities to ensure that there is no duplication in collection of biometrics, the statement said.
It was also decided that enrolments by UIDAI will commence immediately and the authority will separately submit financial proposals to the Ministry of Finance for additional enrolments.
The authority was established in 2009 to generate and assign unique identity numbers for residents of India.
In January 2012, the Cabinet Committee on UIDAI had allocated 18 states and union territories for Aadhaar enrolments by UIDAI in addition to the RGI under the National Population Register (NPR) process.
In the remaining states and UTs enrolments were to be carried out exclusively by RGI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE