Now, UIDAI to enroll in UP, Bihar Chhattisgarh, Uttarakhand
New Delhi: The government on Tuesday asked the UIDAI, which issues unique identification numbers to residents, to start enrolments in four more states - Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh and Uttarakhand.
"It was decided that in four States, which are, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh and Uttarakhand, UIDAI will carry out the enrolment exercise in addition to enrolment carried out by the Registrar General of India (RGI)," an official statement said.
The decision to reallocate states for Aadhaar enrolments was taken by the Cabinet Committee on Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) at a meeting here.
UIDAI and RGI will work out modalities to ensure that there is no duplication in collection of biometrics, the statement said.
It was also decided that enrolments by UIDAI will commence immediately and the authority will separately submit financial proposals to the Ministry of Finance for additional enrolments.
The authority was established in 2009 to generate and assign unique identity numbers for residents of India.
In January 2012, the Cabinet Committee on UIDAI had allocated 18 states and union territories for Aadhaar enrolments by UIDAI in addition to the RGI under the National Population Register (NPR) process.
In the remaining states and UTs enrolments were to be carried out exclusively by RGI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- New Zealand coach Mike Hesson extends contract until 2019
- Photo Alert! AbRam Khan was the cutest guest ever at Karan Johar's birthday bash—Here's proof
- Six Indian students bag awards at prestigious Intel Science Fair in US
- Arvind Kejriwal meets Delhi rape victim at AIIMS, raises statehood issue
- This Bollywood dancer-actor from US just bought her new pad in Mumbai