Now, UIDAI to enroll in UP, Bihar Chhattisgarh, Uttarakhand
New Delhi: The government on Tuesday asked the UIDAI, which issues unique identification numbers to residents, to start enrolments in four more states - Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh and Uttarakhand.
"It was decided that in four States, which are, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh and Uttarakhand, UIDAI will carry out the enrolment exercise in addition to enrolment carried out by the Registrar General of India (RGI)," an official statement said.
The decision to reallocate states for Aadhaar enrolments was taken by the Cabinet Committee on Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) at a meeting here.
UIDAI and RGI will work out modalities to ensure that there is no duplication in collection of biometrics, the statement said.
It was also decided that enrolments by UIDAI will commence immediately and the authority will separately submit financial proposals to the Ministry of Finance for additional enrolments.
The authority was established in 2009 to generate and assign unique identity numbers for residents of India.
In January 2012, the Cabinet Committee on UIDAI had allocated 18 states and union territories for Aadhaar enrolments by UIDAI in addition to the RGI under the National Population Register (NPR) process.
In the remaining states and UTs enrolments were to be carried out exclusively by RGI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3