Now women `black cats` for special operations
Manesar: In a first for country`s elite counter-terror force NSG, a squad of woman `black cat` commandos have been trained for deployment in specialist operations like hostage situations and VIP security.
The woman, dressed in black combat overalls worn by commandos, displayed their skills in sharp shooting and conducting special assault attacks during the NSG raising day at the forces` garrison here on Tuesday.
Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and the top brass of country`s security were clearly impressed to see the dexterity of these armed woman who `slithered` down from a Mi-17 helicopter along with male commandos and took charge of a hostage rescue situation at a demonstration by the force.
"I am amazed by their display of combat and strength," Shinde said after he witnessed the demonstration and congratulated NSG chief Subhash Joshi for training the women commandos.
The NSG has a small team of 25 woman `black cats` at present in its ranks and they have been trained in firing high-calibre assault weapons, unarmed combat and commando survival skills.
NSG DG Joshi, however, refrained to disclose the exact role that these woman combatants will render in the force but said all options were open with regard to deploying them either in VIP security duties or for specific counter-terror operations.
NSG gives round-the-clock armed mobile security to Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and former Uttar Pradesh CM Mayawati but Joshi did not say whether these commandos will specifically be deployed for such women VVIPs.
During the event, Joshi also said that the Union Home Ministry has approved a Rs 664-crore modernisation plan for the commando force which will be utilised over a period of five years.
He said an amount of Rs 533 crore is also expected to be sanctioned for the creation of a NSG regional centre in Hyderabad on a 600-acres land.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!