NRI alleges cheating in land deal in Goa
Panaji: A UK-based NRI and chairman of a
hotel group, which has investment interests in Goa`s
hospitality sector, has alleged that he was threatened here
with dire consequences by two local businessmen over a land
deal in the state.
Chairman of Hotel Country India Pvt Limited Charnesh
Kapoor along with company`s director Farid Khan, both UK-based
NRIs, approached police yesterday to lodge a complaint against
a brother duo Bhushan Kadam and Atul Kadam for allegedly
threatening them at a five star hotel here after cheating them
in a land deal.
"We had already paid Rs 13.8 crore to the accused, who
forged the documents and misled us in the land deal," Kapoor
said at the police station.
As per the complaint, they have a rift with the accused
over alleged forged land documents.
"While in one case, the land belonged to a person who has
died 15 years ago while in another case, the land was a
government property," Kapoor said.
He said that they would file a case of forgery against
the brother duo with Delhi police as all the papers were
signed in Delhi between both the parties.
Kadam brothers` name had also cropped up during
controversial marriage registration of Bollywood actor Sanjay
Dutt. In the records produced before marriage registration
authority, Dutt had shown Kadam`s residence as his address in
Goa. The marriage registration was cancelled after state
government inquiry revealed that Dutt was not staying with
Kadam family in Margao town.
Kapoor and Khan had flown from Delhi to collect money
which they had paid to the accused over last few years to get
a land in the state to set up a hotel project.
"Entire transaction was done through proper channel. It
was foreign direct investment (FDI) and the transfers were
done as per Reserve Bank of India (RBI) guidelines," Kapoor
The hotel group claims to have invested Rs 160 crore in
and around Delhi in commercial buildings and media. Entire
group is worth USD 300 million, he said.
"Our Goa project is envisaged to the tune of Rs 250
crore," Kapoor added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights