NRI education pioneer wins USD 1 mn TED prize
Washington: An NRI education pioneer, known for his innovative "hole-in-the-wall" experiment to give computer education to slum children, has been awarded with the prestigious USD 1 million TED prize.
Dr Sugata Mitra, a Professor of Educational Technology at the School of Education, Communication and Language Sciences at Newcastle University, UK, accepted the award - TED`s annual prize of USD 1 million that gives an exceptional individual the chance to conceive and launch a high-impact project.
After receiving the award, Mitra said he will use the prize to launch global initiative for self-directed learning releases toolkit for schools and families to create self-organised learning environments.
"My wish is to help design the future of learning by supporting children all over the world to tap into their innate sense of wonder and work together. Help me build the School in the Cloud, a learning lab in India, where children can embark on intellectual adventures by engaging and connecting with information and mentoring online," Mitra said.
Mitra developed the concept of the Cloud from his 1999 "hole in the wall" experiment, in which he carved a hole from his research center into an adjoining Delhi slum.
He placed a freely accessible computer in this hole, and found that groups of street children, with no prior experience or knowledge of English, could teach themselves how to use the computer.
For the next ten years, Mitra expanded on his findings and created a "granny cloud" - online moderators of retired teachers - who could Skype into learning centers and encourage children with questions and assignments.
As a leading proponent of self-directed learning, Mitra developed the concept of SOLEs (Self Organised Learning Environments).
The SOLE approach embraces a process where educators ask the kids big questions, leading them on intellectual journeys rather than asking them to just memorize facts.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview