NRI jailed for stabbing wife in money row
London: An Indian-origin advertising executive in Leicester has been jailed for 16 months for stabbing his wife twice in the head in an inebriated state during a row over money.
Jayesh Sharma, 44, attacked his wife in the presence of his children and his mother, who managed to take possession of the knife after he had inflicted two stab wounds on his wife`s head.
The couple, who were married, reportedly had problems due to Sharma`s alcohol abuse.
Sharma is a former governor of the Roundhill Community College, Thurmaston, and worked as an advertising executive for Leicester Mercury, a leading local newspaper.
The incident happened on October 30.
Prosecuting lawyer Victoria Rose said: "He put his right hand inside his jacket pocket and produced a knife. He raised it above his head and brought it down in a stabbing movement on to the top of her head".
She added: "His mother, who was present at the home in Thurmaston, tried to intervene. He then stabbed his wife again. His mother was then able to get the knife off him".
The injured wife was taken to hospital with two puncture wounds, which were glued.
She also had a scratched neck and a sore face, reports from Leicester said.
Sentencing Sharna, Judge Michael Pert said: "It was carried out in the presence of your children and mother, who had to witness what was going on, although they only saw a part of it".
"Mercifully, the injuries weren`t as serious as they might have been. I accept what has been said about the good qualities you exhibited until this time".
Sharma was made the subject of a restraining order banning any contact with her other than through solicitors.
Luke Blackburn, lawyer for Sharma, said: "He has no previous convictions and until this incident was a good and useful member of the community.
"He`d had a good deal to drink and has no useful memory of what happened. He doesn`t rely on drink as an excuse, although it plainly had a role".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!