NRI kids’ custody: Indian officials head to Norway
New Delhi: Ahead of the hearing on the
custody row involving two NRI children in Norway, two senior
Indian officials are leaving for the country.
The two MEA officials are heading to Norway on the
directions of External Affairs Minister S M Krishna and will
be attending the custody hearing on March 23 in Stavanger,
official sources said here.
NRI couple Anurup and Sagarika Bhattacharya`s children
Abhigyan (3) and Aishwarya (1) were taken away last year by
Barnevarne (Norwegian Child Welfare Services), which claimed
emotional disconnect with the parents, and placed them in
foster parental care.
India had last month summoned Norwegian Ambassador Ann
Ollestad seeking expeditious solution to the custody row.
The ministry had asked the envoy as to why the process of
bringing the children together with their family was taking
Under an agreement arrived at last month following an
eight month-long custody row, Abhigyan and his
sister Aishwarya will be given to their uncle, Arunabhash
Bhattacharya so that they could return to India and be brought
up in an extended family.
The agreement was firmed up by the Indian government
through its mission in Norway with the Municipality of Norway,
Norwegian Childcare Services, the parents and their lawyer.
A final decision on the agreement will be taken on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'