NRIs should invest more in India: Pranab
Jaipur: Asking NRIs to invest more in India,
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday said though there have
been large ticket investments by the diaspora, it was much
less than the potential.
To achieve this, an alternate model that was more
balanced and holistic needed to be pursued, he said while
addressing the Pravasi Bhartiya Divas here.
Citing example of China, he said India too needs to
fully tap the investment potential of NRIs and their
entrepreneurial skills and promote inclusive growth.
"We have not yet reaped the full benefits of India`s
great diaspora. The most obvious area remains that of
investment and entrepreneurship. For instance, in China a
large chunk of foreign direct investment has come from
overseas Chinese," he told over 1,900 delegates from 60
Though there have been "large ticket investments" by NRIs
and PIOs, he said, "it is far less than the potential and
perhaps too concentrated on the formal sector. Rather, we must
pursue an alternative model. One that is more balanced and
holistic in a socio-economic sense".
Overseas Indians, he said, should increase their
contribution in social and economic areas like education,
healthcare, and skill development and supplement the efforts
of the government to promote inclusive growth.
The non-resident Chinese have been playing a major role
in the development of China and invest substantial in the
Mukherjee said India does not require just financial
contributions from its diaspora, but dedication of time, ideas
On the economy, he said, "Though we have witnessed ups
and downs, this period has transformed our country and
catapulted it into the centre stage in the world...We are
widely recognised as a major driver of global growth," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city