NRIs to get voting rights: Veerappa Moily
London: Indian government is planning to provide voting rights to Non-Resident Indians and steps are being taken to make it a reality, Law and Justice Minister Veerappa Moily has said.
"The Law ministry has initiated a scheme to provide voting rights to NRIs and it will become a reality soon," Moily told members of the Indian Overseas Congress (UK) London last evening.
Replying to a representation made by DL Kalhan, president of the Indian Overseas Congress, at the Indian Gymkhana here that the NRI`s demand for right to vote in India
was pending for long, the Law Minister said "necessary legislation for that purpose would be enacted soon."
Answering queries at the reception hosted in his honour, Moily said NRIs would have to visit India at the time of the elections.
Efforts would also be made to provide voting facilities at the concerned Indian Missions abroad. There are an estimated over 22 million NRIs spread all over the world.
He said for the purpose of registration as voters in India, their last address in India would be taken into consideration.
The right to vote would, however, not be available to NRIs who have acquired citizenship of other countries, he said.
Moily also assured the UK-based NRIs that he would take up the issue of providing visa-free travel facilities to them in the European Union.
Kalhan also urged the Indian government to withdraw "the black list" issued against some of the NRIs after the assassination of the late prime minister Mrs Indira Gandhi.
The IOC chief also wanted a fresh probe to find perpetrators of the Kanishka aircrash - Air India flight AI-183, in 1985.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17