NSA holds talks with Chinese negotiator Dai Bingguo
New Delhi: Contentious boundary issue and ways to boost bilateral ties were among the issues which figured during discussions between National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon and China`s chief negotiator Dai Bingguo here on Friday.
"Entire gamut of bilateral ties were taken up during the meeting between Menon and Dai here," official sources said but refused to give details of the meeting.
Dai is heading a delegation to the two-day BRICS (Brazil -Russia-India-China-South Africa) top security officials` meeting from today.
Menon and Dai met just over a month after their crucial informal boundary talks in China during which they reached "common understanding" on the negotiations over framework for a boundary settlement.
The common understanding related to both sides officially agreeing to the progress made during the last 15 rounds of talks.
After his talks with Dai last month, Menon had said the common understanding meant where the two sides stand on critical issues.
The understanding, which is yet to be revealed, reportedly referred to several issues relating to the vexed dispute, which from India`s point of view covered 3488 km while China claims that it is confined to 2000 km area in Arunachal Pradesh which it referred to as `Southern Tibet`.
Today`s talks were also significant as it was Dai`s last visit here as Special Representative and State Counsellor before his retirement in March.
He is the longest serving negotiator of China, who held talks with Menon`s predecessors including Brajesh Mishra, J N Dixit and M K Narayanan.
Menon also held bilateral meetings with other delegation heads of BRICS countries in the last two days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj