NSCN(I-M) claims it has people`s mandate to hold peace talks
Kohima: Taking strong exception to its rival`s assertions on the proposed peace talks between Naga leaders and the Centre, NSCN(I-M) on Sunday claimed that it had the "unequivocal mandate" of the people to hold political dialogue on their behalf.
Dismissing the recent statement of its rival NSCN(K) on peace parleys as "unwarranted and misleading", the NSCN(I-M) said it had been holding talks with the Government of India since 1997 as a single entity representing the entire Naga group.
During such a discussion at its headquarters `Camp Hebron` in January 2005, the Naga people gave "unequivocal mandate" to the outfit to carry on the political dialogue with
the Government of India more actively to clinch an honourable settlement for all the Nagas and the Nagalim at the earliest, the statement claimed.
Ahead of meetings with political leadership, the Naga leaders will hold talks with Pandey on March two and three, they said.
The two leaders were also expected to visit Nagaland besides addressing to the issue of clashes between the cadres of NSCN-IM and its rival NSCN (Khaplang), which resulted in unrest in the recent past.
Sources in the government said they would try and iron out the differences with the Centre on key issues, including the sovereignty demand under which the NSCN-IM has proposed a federal relationship with the Indian Union.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information