NSG alerts commandos guarding VIPs in polls
Gurgaon: The NSG has alerted all its commando
squads guarding VVIPs, especially in poll-bound areas, and
will soon bring out new security drills following Monday`s
terror attack on an Israeli embassy vehicle in the capital
using a stealthily stuck bomb device on its rear.
"We have already alerted our people (guarding VVIPs) that
this is what has most likely happened and immediate action we
have taken...but this is not enough. We have to really study
it (the February 13 incident here) and make a standard
operating procedure so that everybody acts in a uniform way
(during such an attack)," NSG Director General R K Medhekar
said on the sidelines of a `bomb data` seminar at the forces`
garrison in Manesar on Delhi`s outskirts.
"We, of course, go through a lot of tense moments during
elections with all these VIPs moving all over the place. In
our kind of elections, enthusiasm is very very difficult for
our boys to work," he said.
The DG said that the NSG `black cat` commandos on VVIP
duties have already enhanced their security responses as soon
as they were informed about the incident.
The elite `black cats` of the National Security Guard
(NSG) secure 15 VIPs/VVIPS at present including Uttar Pradesh
Chief Minister Mayawati, Samajwadi party chief Mulayam Singh
and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
"Since we are protecting very important, very vulnerable
targets, we are working on modifying our SOPs to handle this
(sticking bomb act) also...both in terms of preventing and
should it happen... We are able to gather data on what
happened... We are looking into it.
"In fact the moment it (Israeli SUV incident) happened we
had a little bit of brainstorming in our own headquarters and
we are working out how at least we will try to prevent such a
thing from happening (for NSG protectees)," the NSG chief
The wife of an Israeli diplomat, travelling in an Innova
car, was severely injured while three others suffered minor
injuries in the incident which happened after a bike borne
unidentified person stuck a magnetic bomb device in the
embassy car as it waited on a traffic signal in the highly
secure area of the national capital, close to the Prime
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray