NSG, Army come together to help 26/11 commando
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Sunday, July 24, 2011, 13:43

New Delhi: It is going to be a new beginning for' black cat' commando PV Manesh, who was left paralysed after fighting terrorists during the 26/11 Mumbai attacks.

The NSG and the Army have come together to help the 'hero' in more ways than one even ensuring his posting from Jammu and Kashmir to his home state Kerala.

Manesh, who was awarded a Shaurya Chakra for his gallant action, will soon also be presented a 'Modified Auto Scooter' at an Army 'mela' as the injuries he received from deadly shrapnels had left him paralysed with a restricted movement.

On recommendation of NSG to the Army, Manesh has now been permanently posted to the Army's 122 Infantry battalion in his home state Kerala, changing his earlier posting to his parent unit 27 Madras in operationally active Jammu and Kashmir.

"Manesh has been recommended to be posted in Kerala as he is getting his ayurveda treatment done there. During the Mumbai attack he suffered serious head injuries from a grenade blast and he was recommended physiotherapy to recuperate," an officer of the NSG's 51 Special Action Group (SAG) said.

Manesh (35) was a commando of the elite anti-terror 51 SAG and was a part of the crack team that cleared Oberoi hotel from terrorists in Mumbai in November 2008.

"Both the NSG and the Army are my families. I feel very happy that they have gone out of way to help me," Manesh said to a news agency over phone from his village in Kannur district of Kerala.

The 51 SAG officer described how Manesh was allowed to extend by six-months his deputation in the NSG to ensure that he can avail his medical benefits.

"The SAG commander wrote to the NSG headquarters to extend his deputation on lenient grounds and the headquarters then requested the same to the Army which was agreed upon. He is lucky to have received such love from both of his units," the officer said.

The National Security Guard (NSG) and the Army also ensured that Manesh was awarded the entire compensation of about Rs 5 lakh in quick time.

The compensation included the Prime Minister's fund, Maharashtra government fund and that from the welfare funds of the NSG and the Army.

PTI

First Published: Sunday, July 24, 2011, 13:43

comments powered by Disqus