NSG commandos get new counter-terror machine
Gurgaon: The country`s elite counter-terror force NSG has got a new bullet-proof vehicle which is capable of undertaking specialized operations against terrorists and hijackers.
The military vehicle called `Renault ACP Sherpa` was unveiled today at the Raising Day celebrations of the `black cat` commandos force at its garrison in Manesar here.
The special weapon carrying vehicle can be deployed in coastal regions and comes customised with ladders and appendages for commandos to launch a swift and lethal attack.
On the occasion, National Security Guard (NSG) chief Arvind Ranjan said the force is adapting new techniques to combat the terror of the 21st century.
The force, he said, is making constant changes in its combat strategy, which the world has seen many times during counter-terror operations with the most recent being during the 26/11 Mumbai attacks in 2008.
"The advancement in technology has aggravated terrorism techinques. It is important for us to make changes in our combat strategy to tackle terror in the 21st century.
"For the past one year, we are working vigorously on better coordination between various security agencies of the country to bring about better results in conflict scenarios," he said.
Minister of State for Home Affairs RPN Singh, who was the chief guest at the function, congratulated the NSG for its commendable work in various counter-terrorism operations.
"Operation Black Tornado (Mumbai, November, 2008) was a befitting reply to terrorism. At a time when terrorism is going beyond the frontiers, forces like NSG are imperative. I congratulate the force for their exemplary work of courage and dedication to the country in the last three decades," he said.
NSG Director General Ranjan said recently NSG commandos had also participated in joint exercises with the special forces of Nepal, Bangladesh, Bhutan and Myanmar in honing their skills and learning the best practices of other forces.
The force is also planning to undertake exchange programmes with other countries where the force commanders could learn about the terror incidents in their territories like the recent terrorist siege in a mall in Kenya`s Nairobi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh