NSG Commandos, IAF `Garudas` hold joint exercise
Manesar (Gurgaon): Commandos of the elite
NSG and the Air Force conducted a joint exercise to hone their
skills for airborne insertion of troops into areas under siege
by terrorists like the one encountered at Nariman House during
the 26/11 Mumbai attack.
The seven-day joint exercise termed `Black Eagle` --
between the Special Forces (GARUDA) of the IAF and the NSG
`black cats` was conducted with the help of MI-17 helicopters,
sophisticated weaponry and unique heliborne devices used by
commando forces at the NSG garrison here.
The commandos practised various kinds of shooting
skills and techniques to enable precision surgical strikes
against terrorists, hostile elements and rescue missions. The
emphasis was on swift deployment for which the teams used
helicopters, a statement on the completion of the exercise
The National Security Guard (NSG) commandos also
devised new techniques for various anti-terrorist operations
especially with the help of the Air Force in urban areas like
the one in Mumbai.
A small squad of NSG commandos was flown in on an
MI-17 helicopter from INS Shikra naval base during the 26/11
Mumbai attack which dropped troops atop Nariman house, which
housed the Jewish institution.
This was the first airborne anti-terror operation
which the NSG conducted in a densely populated and urban area.
Two Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorists were killed in the
operation here while NSG commando Havildar Gajender Singh was
The recent exercise was also held keeping in mind the
air insertion of commandos during the upcoming Commonwealth
Games, an NSG officer said.
The NSG has also signed a Memorandum of Understanding
with the IAF for use of its aircraft for commando deployment
and similar operations.
The first such joint exercise between the forces was
held in 2008.
"The joint exercise of the IAF and the NSG is a thrust
in our preparedness and ability to combat terrorism or
undertake a rescue mission in any form anywhere in the
country," the statement said.
The exercise will also enhance the level of
cooperation and understanding between the two forces, the
The exercise was witnessed by NSG Director General N P
S Aulakh and Air Marshal J N Burma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?