NSG procuring latest weaponry: Director

Last Updated: Friday, October 16, 2009 - 19:16

Manesar (Haryana): The elite counter-terror
force NSG is in the process of procuring a wide range of
latest weaponry and gadgets including door busters, taking cue
from its experience during the Mumbai terror attack.

Addressing commandos at their Garrison here, Union Home
Minister P Chidambaram said, "the NSG is going to induct
high-tech and sophisticated weapons in the coming days."
"Based on our experience in Mumbai (the November 26, 2008
attack), we have identified certain devices and gadgets like
night sight equipment and door busters. We are procuring
them," National Security Guard (NSG) Director-General N P S
Aulakh told reporters here.

Aulakh also said the new procurement would have more
sophisticated guns and the present armoury of the force would
be enhanced.

Door busters are used by crack forces to blast locked
doors in an attempt to rescue hostages or neutralise
terrorists.

The need of such new and high-end devices was felt by
the force after the commandos carried out `Operation Black
Tornado` against terrorists in Mumbai who had entered luxury
hotels and a residential complex (Nariman House).
The DG refuted reports of army`s reluctance to sparing
more officers for the force, saying "they are (army officers)
coming in phases and we are putting them on training."

Aulakh also said while the army is in expansion mode,
"they also have shortage of officers, but they (army) are
providing us with officers".

The DG also did not rule out the possibility of having a
dedicated aircraft for the NSG, but said "at present we do not
feel its need".

"After the 26/11 attack, we can now charter any civilian
flight for any operation," he added.

The four new hubs of the force will also be "fully
operational" by middle of December this year, he said.

While the hubs at Kolkata and Hyderabad would be
upgraded to the level of regional centres with a strength of
5,000 men each, the other two hubs at Mumbai and Chennai will
have 241 commandos each.

The Mumbai and Hyderabad hubs, having residential and
training facilities, would start functioning by November 30,
while the hubs in Kolkata and Chennai would start operating by
December 15, Aulakh said.

Bomb disposal and detection squads will also be made
operational soon at the new hubs which are working in
association with respective state governments` units now, he
added.

The DG said the National Buildings Construction
Corporation (NBCC) "has promised" to finish the job of
levelling the ground in the stipulated time-frame and
currently
the department is laying plinths for pre-fabricated structures
at these places.
Earlier while delivering his speech during the silver
jubilee celebrations of the NSG, Chidambaram said, "the NSG
will grow as a potent force against terrorism. Every day,
every week and every month we are adding to our capacity to
deal with terror and defend India`s honour, sovereignty and
security."

Paying tributes to the martyrs of the force, he said "we
also remember the supreme sacrifices of NSG commandos Major
Sandeep Unnikrishnan and Hawildar Gajender Singh and the
entire force" who fought valiantly to neutralise the
terrorists in Mumbai in November last year.

The commandos presented a spectacular display of their
firepower and skill as they recreated the scene of the Mumbai
terror attacks.

Representative buildings like the Leopold cafe, Taj
hotel, Nariman house and Cama hospital, attacked during the
terror attacks, were designated for the commandos to showcase
their techniques.

Union Home Secretary G K Pillai, chiefs of various
central paramilitary forces and other security agencies were
also present during the presentations at the NSG garrison
here.

Bureau Report



First Published: Friday, October 16, 2009 - 19:16

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus