NSG working without top commander for 6 months
New Delhi: The country`s elite
counter-terrorist force NSG is functioning without its top
operations commander for almost six months as both the Home
and Defence Ministries have not been able to get a suitable
Army officer for the job.
The last incumbent of the post-- Inspector General
(operations) Major General R S Pradhan was repatriated from
the elite commando force on July 12 last year even before he
completed his stipulated three-year tenure.
Pradhan had joined the `black cats` on June 21, 2010 on
deputation from the Army.
Sources in the Home Ministry said that at a time when the
NSG has spread its security web by deploying its crack
commandos in various important cities across the country, the
absence of the top commander can turn out to be a costly
affair for the force in the possible event of a terrorist
attack or an hijack attempt.
"The Home Ministry has twice drawn the list for
appointing an eligible Major General rank officer in
consultation with the Ministry of Defence but they have still
not been able to find a suitable officer for the crucial post.
The NSG`s fighting forces are under the command of the IG
(operations) and the officer is next in command to the NSG DG
in terms of operations," a top source said.
According to sources, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram
had some time back approved the name of a senior Army Major
General but the posting has still not taken place. The
Ministry of Defence, according to sources, is still to give
its nod on the selection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Eight killed, seven injured after jeep falls into deep gorge in Uttarakhand's Tehri Garhwal
- Masked men raise Pakistan, ISIS flags in Kashmir; stones pelted at policemen
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win