Nuclear-capable Prithvi-II missile test fired
Balasore: Displaying high
accuracy, India`s nuclear-capable Prithvi-II ballistic
missile, with a striking range of 35O km, was on Monday
successfully test-fired as part of user trial by the armed
forces from Chandipur near here.
"The flight test of the surface-to-surface missile was
conducted around 9.00 am from a mobile launcher from Integrated
Test Range`s launch complex-III," ITR Director S P Dash said.
Describing the trial of the indigenously developed
strategic missile as "fully successful", Dash said, "It met
all the mission objectives and was perfect like a text book
The launch operations were carried out by the armed
forces as part of user trial and regular training exercise and
monitored by the Scientists of Defence Research Development
Being handled by the specially raised strategic force
command, the short-range sleek missile has a length of 9
metres and is one metre in diameter. It is propelled by two
engines than run on liquid fuel.
Prithvi, the first ballistic missile developed under
prestigious Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme
has the capability of carrying 500 kg warhead. The missile uses
advanced inertial guidance system with manoeuvring trajectory.
During today`s trial, the missile reached the predefined
target in the Bay of Bengal with a very high accuracy of
better than 10 meters, a DRDO spokesperson said.
"All the radars, electro optical systems located along
the coast have tracked and monitored all the parameters of the
missile throughout the flight path and an Indian Navy ship
located near the target witnessed the final event," he said.
Prithvi-II has been successfully flight tested several
times as part of the training exercise and today’s launch
again proved its reliability and accuracy, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor