Nuclear-capable Shourya missile test-fired
Balasore: India on Saturday flight-tested state-of-the-art nuclear capable `Shourya` missile from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur off Orissa coast,
about 15 km from here.
The surface-to-surface missile took off from an underground silo at the launch complex-3 in the ITR at about 1428 hours, defence sources said.
It was the second developmental trial of the missile. The first test of the missile was successfully conducted on November 12, 2008 from the same base, they said.
"This developmental flight trial is part of the on-going technology refinement work undertaken by the Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO)," said a defence official.
The sophisticated missile combines simplicity of operation with low maintenance. It can be easily handled, transported and stored within the canister for longer shelf
life, he said.
The high manoeuvrability of the missile makes it less vulnerable to available anti-missile defence systems. Shourya, which can carry a one-tonne nuclear and
conventional warhead over 750 kilometers, is powered by two-stage solid fuel.
"We have designed the Shourya missile in such a manner that it can be launched from under water as easily as from land. The gas-filled canister that houses the missile fits easily into a submarine. The underwater leg of the nuclear trial needs to be totally reliable and needs a state-of-the-art missile," said a defence scientist associated with the project.
As a safety measure, prior to the test, Balasore district administration had temporarily evacuated 400 families residing within 2 km radius of the launch pad to nearby shelter camps early this morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state