Nuke deal to figure in talks with Japanese PM
New Delhi: Civil nuclear cooperation will be
among the major issues of discussion at the Summit meeting
between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his Japanese
counterpart Yoshihiko Noda here on Wednesday during which the
two sides will also look at ways to enhance trade.
Noda will arrive here tomorrow on a three-day visit amid
India`s expectations of increased Foreign Direct Investments
(FDI) from Japan across the board and possibility of an
agreement on USD 10 billion currency swap.
"I think this will be a subject that will be discussed
between the two Prime Ministers at the summit," Gautam
Bambawale, Joint Secretary (East Asia) in the External Affairs
Ministry, told reporters here when asked whether civil nuclear
issue, which is under negotiation, would figure in the 6th
Making it clear that the proposed deal was not off in the
wake of radiation scare in Fukushima due to tsunami in March,
he said there have been some informal consultations between
the two countries after that incident.
Prior to that there have been three formal rounds of
negotiations, Bambawale said.
"I am quite sure that this is a subject which will be
discussed between the two Prime Ministers. What is the outcome
of the discussions, I won`t be able to tell you. We can leave
it to the two Prime Ministers," he said.
Syed Akbaruddin, the new spokesman of the External Affairs
Ministry, said civil nuclear cooperation issue has been
receiving high level attention.
The two Prime Ministers will also discuss regional issues,
including the new developments in North Korea after the death
of its leader Kim Jong-Il. The Indian side would like to
listen to the Japanese perspective from Noda, who will be on
his first visit to India as Prime Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm