Nuke deal to figure in talks with Japanese PM
New Delhi: Civil nuclear cooperation will be
among the major issues of discussion at the Summit meeting
between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his Japanese
counterpart Yoshihiko Noda here on Wednesday during which the
two sides will also look at ways to enhance trade.
Noda will arrive here tomorrow on a three-day visit amid
India`s expectations of increased Foreign Direct Investments
(FDI) from Japan across the board and possibility of an
agreement on USD 10 billion currency swap.
"I think this will be a subject that will be discussed
between the two Prime Ministers at the summit," Gautam
Bambawale, Joint Secretary (East Asia) in the External Affairs
Ministry, told reporters here when asked whether civil nuclear
issue, which is under negotiation, would figure in the 6th
Making it clear that the proposed deal was not off in the
wake of radiation scare in Fukushima due to tsunami in March,
he said there have been some informal consultations between
the two countries after that incident.
Prior to that there have been three formal rounds of
negotiations, Bambawale said.
"I am quite sure that this is a subject which will be
discussed between the two Prime Ministers. What is the outcome
of the discussions, I won`t be able to tell you. We can leave
it to the two Prime Ministers," he said.
Syed Akbaruddin, the new spokesman of the External Affairs
Ministry, said civil nuclear cooperation issue has been
receiving high level attention.
The two Prime Ministers will also discuss regional issues,
including the new developments in North Korea after the death
of its leader Kim Jong-Il. The Indian side would like to
listen to the Japanese perspective from Noda, who will be on
his first visit to India as Prime Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony