Number of elected women in panchayati raj system up in 10 yrs
New Delhi: There has been an increase in
representation of women in the panchayati raj system in the
past 10 years, the Rajya Sabha was informed on Tuesday.
The percentage of women representatives at gram panchayat
level in 2010 was 38.40 as compared to 31.37 per cent in 2000,
Rural Development minister Vilasrao Deshmukh said in a written
reply to a question.
Giving more figures, he said their representation in
panchayat samiti level rose from a mere 20.71 per cent in 2000
to 37.19 per cent in 2010 while in the zilla parishad level,
it stood at 35.80 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Net Neutrality: Facebook board member's offensive tweet on 'colonialism' leaves Indians fuming
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- 'Heartbroken' Virat Kohli deletes, then re-posts his sad pic