Number of elected women in panchayati raj system up in 10 yrs
New Delhi: There has been an increase in
representation of women in the panchayati raj system in the
past 10 years, the Rajya Sabha was informed on Tuesday.
The percentage of women representatives at gram panchayat
level in 2010 was 38.40 as compared to 31.37 per cent in 2000,
Rural Development minister Vilasrao Deshmukh said in a written
reply to a question.
Giving more figures, he said their representation in
panchayat samiti level rose from a mere 20.71 per cent in 2000
to 37.19 per cent in 2010 while in the zilla parishad level,
it stood at 35.80 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...