Number of elected women in panchayati raj system up in 10 yrs
New Delhi: There has been an increase in
representation of women in the panchayati raj system in the
past 10 years, the Rajya Sabha was informed on Tuesday.
The percentage of women representatives at gram panchayat
level in 2010 was 38.40 as compared to 31.37 per cent in 2000,
Rural Development minister Vilasrao Deshmukh said in a written
reply to a question.
Giving more figures, he said their representation in
panchayat samiti level rose from a mere 20.71 per cent in 2000
to 37.19 per cent in 2010 while in the zilla parishad level,
it stood at 35.80 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Land of believers! Out of 1.2 billion people, only 33,000 are atheists in India
- Hafiz Saeed is overseeing attacks by ISIS fighters in Afghanistan?
- Blackbuck poaching case: Rajasthan government may appeal against Salman Khan's acquittal
- 'Michael Jackson died a vulnerable man'
- Kunis, Kutcher bought wedding rings on e-commerce site