Number of elected women in panchayati raj system up in 10 yrs
New Delhi: There has been an increase in
representation of women in the panchayati raj system in the
past 10 years, the Rajya Sabha was informed on Tuesday.
The percentage of women representatives at gram panchayat
level in 2010 was 38.40 as compared to 31.37 per cent in 2000,
Rural Development minister Vilasrao Deshmukh said in a written
reply to a question.
Giving more figures, he said their representation in
panchayat samiti level rose from a mere 20.71 per cent in 2000
to 37.19 per cent in 2010 while in the zilla parishad level,
it stood at 35.80 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried