Number of elected women in panchayati raj system up in 10 yrs
New Delhi: There has been an increase in
representation of women in the panchayati raj system in the
past 10 years, the Rajya Sabha was informed on Tuesday.
The percentage of women representatives at gram panchayat
level in 2010 was 38.40 as compared to 31.37 per cent in 2000,
Rural Development minister Vilasrao Deshmukh said in a written
reply to a question.
Giving more figures, he said their representation in
panchayat samiti level rose from a mere 20.71 per cent in 2000
to 37.19 per cent in 2010 while in the zilla parishad level,
it stood at 35.80 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur