Obama Administration making a strategic bet on India: Biswal
Washington: Ahead of an important India visit of US Secretary of State John Kerry, a top Obama Administration official today said that the Asian nation has an increasingly vital role to play at the global stage.
As the US moves towards implementing its "rebalance to Asia" strategy, Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asia Nisha Desai Biswal told lawmakers that "India has vital role to play in South Asia, in the Asia Pacific, and, increasingly at the global stage."
Testifying before the House Foreign Affairs Committee`s subcommittee on the Asia and the Pacific, she said India`s rise as a regional and global leader, and its economic and strategic growth, are deeply in the US interest.
Highly appreciative of India`s `Look East` Policy and its engagement with Southeast Asia and East Asia, at a time of opening in Myanmar, Biswal insisted this is the reason why the United States is making the "strategic bet" on India.
Asserting that the Obama Administration is committed to a "strong and influential India" in the security realm, Biswal said India is a regional and emerging global power, as well as provider of security and a strategic partner with shared interests from the Indian Ocean to Afghanistan and beyond.
She said the new Indian government has identified infrastructure, manufacturing, modernizing the military, energy security, attracting greater foreign investment, and expanding access to skills training and education as its key priorities.
"In all the areas that the Modi government has identified as priorities, we think the United States, including our businesses and universities, can play an important role in helping address the challenges India faces and creating opportunities that benefit both countries," she said.
In favor of an early conclusion of Bilateral Investment Treaty (BIT) with India, Biswal said this would help support key economic objectives for both countries, from protection of investment interests overseas to the promotion of market-oriented policies and exports.
A BIT would also greatly improve two-way investment flows. That`s good for the US economy.
"Increasing Indian foreign direct investment in the US would expand American jobs in a variety of professional, scientific, and technical sectors that have traditionally attracted Indian investment," she said.
"Trade expansion also benefits families and businesses by supporting productive, high-paying jobs in exports and increasing the variety of products available for purchase," she said.
Biswal said the India-US bilateral engagements over the next several months will reinforce their strategic, economic and people-to-people ties.
"The Strategic Dialogue will kick off a series of high- level visits throughout late summer and fall, culminating in the visit of Prime Minister Modi to Washington at the invitation of the President," she said.
"We think, this is a time of tremendous potential for the US India partnership. By reinvigorating this partnership and setting ambitious new goals for the future, we are making future generations of Americans and Indians safer and more prosperous and helping strengthen stability and around the world," Biswal told the lawmakers.
In his remarks, Congressman Ed Royce, Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said in every aspect whether it be in political, economic or security relations ? the United States has no more important partner in South Asia.
"It is not an overstatement to say that the US-India relationship will help define the future of the region," he said, adding he has joined with other Congressmen in inviting Prime Minister Narendra Modi to address a Joint Meeting of Congress when he travels to Washington in September.
Royce exuded optimism that the mandate given to Modi will help India thrives economically, lifting countless people out of poverty.
"India has the opportunity to implement important reforms such as the privatization of state-run banks and the relinquishing of the government?s control of coal production. Modi?s historic victory has granted him a mandate unseen in decades," he said.
"If Modi is successful, all Indians will have an opportunity to unleash their abundant economic talent and potential, as Gujartis have.?He now has the opportunity to reinvigorate India?s economy and bring new energy to US-India relations," Royce said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo