Obama for true global partnership with India
Washington: US President Barack Obama has reaffirmed his commitment to building a "true global, strategic partnership" with India at a meeting with National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon.
Obama dropped in as Menon was meeting with his American counterpart Tom Donilon at the White House on Friday and stayed on for about 15 minutes reflecting his focus on strengthening the India-US relationship.
"The President joined the meeting and reaffirmed his commitment to building a true global, strategic partnership with India," the White House said in a readout released on Saturday.
"The President relayed his priorities for the coming year, including advancing our bilateral economic relationship and making progress on nuclear security efforts," it said.
"Donilon and Menon discussed ways to advance our bilateral agenda over the coming year, including the implementation of initiatives launched during the summit, as well as building new platforms for collaboration that fulfil the promise of our global strategic partnership.”
"The two also had candid, in-depth discussions on regional and global issues of mutual concern," the White House said.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton also Friday hosted a lunch for Menon, who is here to review the implementation of initiatives launched during the India visit of Obama in November and discuss developments in India-US bilateral relationship in preparation for their Strategic Dialogue in New Delhi in April.
She had initially scheduled a dinner for Menon on Thursday, but it had to be postponed because Menon reached Washington late Thursday night due to a major snow storm in the region.
Menon also met Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs William Burns.
"Our US-India Strategic Dialogue is premised on our strong support for India`s role as an important actor on the international stage," PJ Crowley, the State Department spokesman, said ahead of the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!