Obama has no time for Golden Temple, Taj Mahal
Washington: The White House has clarified that US President Barack Obama will not be visiting the Golden Temple in Amritsar and the Taj Mahal at Agra because of paucity of time.
"Anybody that would go to (India), would love to... spend a lot more time there," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs told reporters Monday when asked why Obama is not visiting the Sikhs` holiest shrine or the famed Taj Mahal.
"We`re afforded a short trip to a very important country in a very important region of the world because the trip obviously is also anchored by the important economic meetings later on in the trip," he said.
"We are in India for three days. There`s - you could spend a lot longer than that, and obviously anybody would. We picked our schedule based on what we wanted to get accomplished, and that focus was on New Delhi and Mumbai, and that`s going to be the focus of our trip."
Obama would be arriving in Mumbai on November 6, a day after Diwali. After spending two days in Mumbai, he would reach New Delhi on seventh evening for a private dinner with Prime Minister.
After a packed day of official engagements on November 8, he is scheduled to leave for Jakarta on November 9 for the onward trip to Indonesia, South Korea and Japan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP