Obama visit taken Indo-US relationship to a new peak: Shankar
Washington: The strategic relationship
between India and the United States has reached a new level
following the last month`s visit of the President Barack Obama
to New Delhi and Mumbai, Indian Ambassador to US Meera Shankar
"We see in the US as a valuable partner in meeting our
developmental aspiration, building peace in our neighbourhood,
and sharing our global interests," Shankar said in her address
to the Heritage Foundation, a Washington-based think-tank.
Shankar said the Indian Prime Minister, Manmohan
Singh, and Obama after their meeting in New Delhi
characterised the Indo-US partnership as indispensable not
only for the two countries but also for the entire
"Our cooperation is broad based and involves people
from both sides from all walks of life," she said, adding that
this is reflected in the broad political bipartisan support in
The two countries have agreed on major initiatives
during the presidential visit ? realignment of the export
control framework and counter-terrorism.
Export control liberalisation is a significant step
forward and carries to the logical conclusion of the civil
nuclear agreement between the two countries.
This could emerge as a very important area of
co-operation between the two countries, she said.
Noting that counter-terrorism is a shared challenge.
"We have agreed to have a new dialogue on home land
security," Shankar said, the two countries have also agreed to
work together in the realm of nuclear non-proliferation.
Shankar said India welcomes its endorsement for the
Security Council Permanent Membership by the US President,
during his address to the Indian Parliament.
The UN Security Council should better reflect
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September
- Nita Ambani launch multi-discipline sports initiative; laud PM Modi for Olympics task force idea
- ISRO successfully tests scramjet rocket engine
- Rafael Nadal hoping to continue Rio Olympics momentum at US Open
- Guess who? This A-list Bollywood actress can give up career to marry the man she loves