Obama visit taken Indo-US relationship to a new peak: Shankar
Washington: The strategic relationship
between India and the United States has reached a new level
following the last month`s visit of the President Barack Obama
to New Delhi and Mumbai, Indian Ambassador to US Meera Shankar
"We see in the US as a valuable partner in meeting our
developmental aspiration, building peace in our neighbourhood,
and sharing our global interests," Shankar said in her address
to the Heritage Foundation, a Washington-based think-tank.
Shankar said the Indian Prime Minister, Manmohan
Singh, and Obama after their meeting in New Delhi
characterised the Indo-US partnership as indispensable not
only for the two countries but also for the entire
"Our cooperation is broad based and involves people
from both sides from all walks of life," she said, adding that
this is reflected in the broad political bipartisan support in
The two countries have agreed on major initiatives
during the presidential visit ? realignment of the export
control framework and counter-terrorism.
Export control liberalisation is a significant step
forward and carries to the logical conclusion of the civil
nuclear agreement between the two countries.
This could emerge as a very important area of
co-operation between the two countries, she said.
Noting that counter-terrorism is a shared challenge.
"We have agreed to have a new dialogue on home land
security," Shankar said, the two countries have also agreed to
work together in the realm of nuclear non-proliferation.
Shankar said India welcomes its endorsement for the
Security Council Permanent Membership by the US President,
during his address to the Indian Parliament.
The UN Security Council should better reflect
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal