Odisha government should shift Posco plant: CPI
Vijayawada: The Communist Party of India
(CPI) national secretary, D Raja on Sunday demanded that the
Odisha government should shift Posco steel plant from its
"Even hough the locals, and particularly tribals, have
been agitating against the plant since last six years, the
Odisha government never listened to them," Raja said, adding
that the state government was mercilessly using the police to
suppress the people`s movement.
"I urge the government to stop police action against
the innocent," Raja said.
Though I have written to prime minister by suggesting
to shift the plant "But no action has been initiated so far
either by the Union government or the state government, he
The CPI leader said that his party would raise the
issue in Parliament as the state government was trying to
deprive the tribals of their judicial rights to land and
allowing the MNC to exploit natural resources.
Seeking amendment to the land acquisition policies,
Raja said the government should not allow the industries to
set up their plants on fertile lands.
The Posco steel-cum-power-cum-port project in Odisha
was recently given environment and forest clearance by the
ministry of environment and forests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra