OIC backs Pak calls for a "fact-finding" mission in J&K
Islamabad: Backing Pakistan, the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation today asked India to allow a OIC fact-finding mission, international rights groups and humanitarian organisations to visit Jammu and Kashmir to assess the rights situation.
A joint communique adopted at an OIC summit that concluded in Cairo today "called upon India to allow the OIC fact-finding mission, the international human rights groups and humanitarian organisations to visit Jammu and Kashmir", said a statement issued by the Foreign Office.
The communique welcomed Pakistan`s proposal for an investigation by the UN Military Observers Group for India and Pakistan into recent ceasefire violations along the Line of Control.
It expressed "deep concern" at the ceasefire violations.
The communique further called on India to undertake an "independent investigation into the discovery of mass graves and ensure free and fair trial of those responsible" for "heinous crimes".
The Pakistani delegation to the summit was led by Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar, who yesterday called for an investigation into the ceasefire violations on the LoC by the OIC.
The move came in the wake of India`s rejection of Pakistan`s call for a probe by the UNMOGIP.
Clashes between Indian and Pakistani troops last month were among the worst violations of the ceasefire that was put in place along the 742-km LoC in late 2003.
One Indian soldier was beheaded by Pakistani troops while the mutilated body of another jawan was found in the Poonch sector along the LoC. Pakistan claims three of its soldiers were killed din Indian firing.
The OIC summit discussed political, economic and
socio-cultural issues of significance to the Muslim world, including the Palestine issue, the situation in Syria and Mali, and `Islamophobia`.
Pakistan was elected the vice-chair of the summit.
In her address to the Summit, Khar stressed the need for a just and peaceful solution of the Kashmir dispute.
She said Pakistan remained committed to the composite dialogue process with India to resolve all outstanding issues.
Khar reiterated Pakistan`s support to an Afghan-led and Afghan-owned reconciliation process, and said Pakistan was extending all possible help to the intra-Afghan peace process.
Condemning terrorism in all forms and manifestations, she said there is a need to adopt a compressive approach towards terrorism, which cannot be defeated only by law enforcement and military operations.
The OIC contact group on Kashmir met on the sidelines of the summit. The meeting was co-chaired by Khar and the OIC Secretary General.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh