Oil leak under control, spill will disperse in 48 hrs: ONGC
New Delhi: The oil leak that created a
mile-long slick some 80 km off the Mumbai Coast this morning
has been brought under control and the spill is likely to
disperse within 48 hours, state-owned Oil and Natural Gas
Corp (ONGC) said.
"The leakage of oil has stopped... oil spill is under
control... It has been estimated that oil spill will be
dispersed within 48 hours," ONGC said in a statement.
At around 0845 hours this morning, the company had
detected a leak in its Mumbai-Uran Trunk (MUT) oil pipeline,
which transports crude oil from the Mumbai High offshore
Production from ONGC`s Mumbai High field, the nation`s
biggest oilfield, and Bassein oilfield was stopped immediately
after the leak was detected and the pipeline shut down.
Output has since been resumed and crude oil from the
offshore field is being transported ashore through a separate
"The Coast Guard had assessed the situation of oil spill
and feeling that matter is under control decided to withdraw
the Regional Contingency Plan," ONGC said. "Surveillance and
monitoring of operations will continue jointly by ONGC and the
Coast Guard," it added.
The Mumbai High and Bassein fields together produce
247,000 barrels of oil per day, but on account of the brief
stoppage, crude output would be about 25,000 barrels less
"A leak was detected and crude pumping on the line
stopped... ONGC has reacted immediately to control the spill,"
Oil Secretary S Sundareshan said.
ONGC said the leakage was observed 2 km from the BPB
Platform (Bassein oil and gas field) in the Western Offshore.
Oil and gas production from Mumbai High is now being routed
through the ICP-Heera-Uran Trunk (HUT) pipeline.
The company had sent vessels to the site to ascertain the
extent of leakage and contain the spill, as well as repair the
Shares of ONGC fell after the news and closed 2.6 percent down at Rs 1,105 on the Bombay Stock Exchange on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof