Oil leak under control, spill will disperse in 48 hrs: ONGC
New Delhi: The oil leak that created a
mile-long slick some 80 km off the Mumbai Coast this morning
has been brought under control and the spill is likely to
disperse within 48 hours, state-owned Oil and Natural Gas
Corp (ONGC) said.
"The leakage of oil has stopped... oil spill is under
control... It has been estimated that oil spill will be
dispersed within 48 hours," ONGC said in a statement.
At around 0845 hours this morning, the company had
detected a leak in its Mumbai-Uran Trunk (MUT) oil pipeline,
which transports crude oil from the Mumbai High offshore
Production from ONGC`s Mumbai High field, the nation`s
biggest oilfield, and Bassein oilfield was stopped immediately
after the leak was detected and the pipeline shut down.
Output has since been resumed and crude oil from the
offshore field is being transported ashore through a separate
"The Coast Guard had assessed the situation of oil spill
and feeling that matter is under control decided to withdraw
the Regional Contingency Plan," ONGC said. "Surveillance and
monitoring of operations will continue jointly by ONGC and the
Coast Guard," it added.
The Mumbai High and Bassein fields together produce
247,000 barrels of oil per day, but on account of the brief
stoppage, crude output would be about 25,000 barrels less
"A leak was detected and crude pumping on the line
stopped... ONGC has reacted immediately to control the spill,"
Oil Secretary S Sundareshan said.
ONGC said the leakage was observed 2 km from the BPB
Platform (Bassein oil and gas field) in the Western Offshore.
Oil and gas production from Mumbai High is now being routed
through the ICP-Heera-Uran Trunk (HUT) pipeline.
The company had sent vessels to the site to ascertain the
extent of leakage and contain the spill, as well as repair the
Shares of ONGC fell after the news and closed 2.6 percent down at Rs 1,105 on the Bombay Stock Exchange on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why