Oil mafia: Maha govt sat on IAS officer`s report
Mumbai: As Maharashtra government cracks
down on the oil mafia in the wake of gruesome murder of
Additional District Collector Yashwant Sonawane, a 15-year-old
report on curbing oil adulteration menace prepared by a former
IAS officer is gathering dust at the State Secretariat.
"I submitted the report to the government in 1995-96.
Nothing has been done so far," Leena Mehendale, the then
Nashik Divisional Commissioner, said.
Sonawane was burnt alive by the oil mafia in Malegaon,
Nashik district, on Tuesday for having cracked down on them.
"The report came to Mantralaya (Secretariat). All that
we learnt was that no action was going to be taken (on the
report)," said Mehendale, who retired last year as Additional
The then Dhule District Collector had initiated the
report, she said. "I expanded the report, went into details.
Immediately after the report was submitted, Dhule Collector
was transferred. After four months, I was also transferred."
The report has noted that oil adulteration and
pilferage were rampant in the region where Sonawane was
killed. It has also suggested review of licenses of vendors.
"I recommended that petrol and kerosene licenses
should not be given to the same person," she said, adding that
the government has turned a blind eye towards this suggestion,
leading to rampant adulteration.
Mehendale had discussed the issue with the then Law
Secretary of Maharashtra, seeking an amendment to the Criminal
Procedure Code (CrPC). She suggested that rationing inspectors
should get the right to file cases in court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical