Oil Ministry convenes meet on adulteration
New Delhi: Awaken to the humongous issue of oil black marketing after the gruesome killing of Yashwant Sonawane, the Oil Ministry has called for an emergency meeting on Thursday to chart out a course of action to root out the oil mafia.
Petroleum Minister Jaipal Reddy will hold the meeting with top officials of oil companies along with the joint secretary of the ministry today afternoon. The meeting was to start around 12 O’clock today.
The move from the Centre came after in a gruesome incident Nashik additional district collector Yashwant Sonawane was burnt alive by the oil mafia in Manmad in Maharashtra.
The officer went to conduct a raid on the local oil mafia for pilferage from kerosene tankers.
According to a 2006 report of ASSOCHAM, around 40 percent of the Kerosene subsidy meant for the poor is being diverted for black marketing and adulteration purposes.
It estimated that the black marketers would be causing the government kitty a net loss of Rs 5700 crore on account of kerosene subsidies extension.
The ASSOCHAM Study had recommended introducing IT systems to monitor the movement of trucks carrying the kerosene and monitoring the fuel tanks, as suggested by the Rangarajan Committee report.
Rangarajan Committee has suggested introduction of smart cards to stop perforation of kerosene.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply