Oil spill off Mumbai coast a big disaster: Chavan
New Delhi: Terming the oil spill off the
Mumbai coast as a "big disaster", the government Tuesday said it
will not shirk from its responsibility and make every effort
to clean the polluted water as soon as possible.
"We have technology. We will try to clean the water as
soon as possible," Minister of State for Science and
Technology Prithviraj Chavan told reporters on the sidelines
of a national conference organised by All India Management
Association (AIMA) here.
He said the oil spill was "a big disaster" and the
Centre was monitoring the entire situation "at the level of
cabinet secretary" and is in touch with the Maharashtra
government which is receiving all necessary guidance from here
to tackle the situation.
When asked whether government was thinking to bring
some technology from abroad to clean the polluted water,
Chavan said, "We will not shirk from our responsibility. If we
need to bring technology from abroad, we will do it. It is for
the first time that we are facing such a big accident at the
To a question how much time it will take to clean the
water, Chavan said, "It is difficult to say. Early morning, I
heard that oil leakage has stopped. We will try to fight the
situation with the best of our ability."
Asked whether the government will bring the Nuclear
Liability Bill in the current session of Parliament, he said
it all depends on when the standing committee of Parliament
presents its report on it.
"When the report comes, government will consider it
and take appropriate action after that," he said.
Asked when is the Committee expected to submit its
report, Chavan said, "Committee has a certain deadline given
by the Chairman of Rajya Sabha. I think it is going to expire
this month. But I am sure they are working very hard and they
have looked at all aspects of the legislation."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video