`Old man` in hurry for mid-term polls: Bansal
New Delhi: Slamming the BJP for disruption of Parliament, Government on Friday accused it of taking the country to "nadir" of Parliamentary discourse as part of plans to precipitate mid-term polls.
Attacking LK Advani, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said, "One of their senior leaders had said ahead of the session that this is the right time for elections.... The old man is in a hurry.... These (charges on coal block allocation) are hallucinations and there is nothing in them."
Bansal`s remarks were an obvious reference to Advani who had written in a blog last month that if an election is held now the Congress would not be able to cross double digit.
The minister also blamed the BJP for the huge expenditure of running Parliament that lay waste due to the disruptions. He said each minute of the session cost Rs 2.5 lakh.
The BJP was taking the country to the "nadir of Parliamentary discourse" by its politics of obduracy and irresponsibility, he said, adding that the opposition party raised a "baseless" campaign on the CAG report on coal block allocation.
He alleged that in such politics lay the "genesis of fascism".
He claimed that the opposition had even threatened the Speaker once against adjourning the House for only one hour and not for entire day.
"There was an earlier occasion when the Speaker had adjourned the House for one hour and not for whole day and the scene that was created by the people obstructing the House transferred from the Lok Sabha to the Speaker`s chamber.
"They said if they had warned that the House should not run, how could you dare to adjourn the House only for one hour. It happened in my presence. I am saying it with full sense of responsibility," Bansal told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price