Om Prakash Chautala surrenders before Tihar jail
New Delhi: After being out on bail for about two months, former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala, serving a 10-year jail term in a teacher recruitment scam case, on Monday surrendered before the Tihar jail authorities after the Supreme Court refused to extend his relief.
"He (Chautala) surrendered before us today," Tihar jail spokesperson Sunil Gupta told a news agency.
Chautala, who is serving a 10-year jail term awarded in the junior teachers recruitment scam by a Delhi court, was granted interim bail by the High Court on July 23 for six weeks on medical ground.
The trial court had on January 22 sentenced Chautala and nine others, including his son Ajay, to 10 years jail term for illegally recruiting 3,206 JBT teachers in 2000. Among other convicts, 44 were sentenced to four years in jail and one was sentenced to five-year jail term in the case.
All of them were held guilty of cheating, forgery, using fake documents as genuine, conspiracy under the IPC and for abusing their official position under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
The court had, while extending interim bail of Chautala on August 12 asked the AIIMS Director to constitute a medical board and file a report giving specific answer to a query as to whether Chautala needs hospitalisation.
The Supreme Court had on September 11 dismissed Chautala`s plea seeking extension of bail given to him on medical grounds, saying the opinion of a high-level medical board shows his hospitalisation is no more required.
A bench of justices HL Dattu and SJ Mukhopadhaya, however, extended from September 17 to September 23, the time given to him for surrender before jail authorities and said he should do so without failure.
The 78-year-old INLD leader had moved the apex court after his plea for extension of interim bail on medical grounds was dismissed on September 6 by the Delhi High Court directing him to surrender before Tihar Jail authorities on September 17.
The senior Chautala had also moved the high court challenging his conviction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo