Om Prakash Chautala surrenders before Tihar jail

After being out on bail for about two months, former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala surrendered before the Tihar jail authorities.

Last Updated: Sep 23, 2013, 22:38 PM IST

New Delhi: After being out on bail for about two months, former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala, serving a 10-year jail term in a teacher recruitment scam case, on Monday surrendered before the Tihar jail authorities after the Supreme Court refused to extend his relief.

"He (Chautala) surrendered before us today," Tihar jail spokesperson Sunil Gupta told a news agency.

Chautala, who is serving a 10-year jail term awarded in the junior teachers recruitment scam by a Delhi court, was granted interim bail by the High Court on July 23 for six weeks on medical ground.

The trial court had on January 22 sentenced Chautala and nine others, including his son Ajay, to 10 years jail term for illegally recruiting 3,206 JBT teachers in 2000. Among other convicts, 44 were sentenced to four years in jail and one was sentenced to five-year jail term in the case.

All of them were held guilty of cheating, forgery, using fake documents as genuine, conspiracy under the IPC and for abusing their official position under the Prevention of Corruption Act.

The court had, while extending interim bail of Chautala on August 12 asked the AIIMS Director to constitute a medical board and file a report giving specific answer to a query as to whether Chautala needs hospitalisation.

The Supreme Court had on September 11 dismissed Chautala`s plea seeking extension of bail given to him on medical grounds, saying the opinion of a high-level medical board shows his hospitalisation is no more required.

A bench of justices HL Dattu and SJ Mukhopadhaya, however, extended from September 17 to September 23, the time given to him for surrender before jail authorities and said he should do so without failure.

The 78-year-old INLD leader had moved the apex court after his plea for extension of interim bail on medical grounds was dismissed on September 6 by the Delhi High Court directing him to surrender before Tihar Jail authorities on September 17.

The senior Chautala had also moved the high court challenging his conviction.